Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Fate

I'm a big believer in fate. The things that are going to happen in your life will find a way whether you want it to happen or not. This includes heartache, happiness, whether or not you will have a family, etc. I believe my career fate started to change on New Year's Eve last year. While in Helena for the holidays I met a gentleman in the jewelry industry. I was like a kid in a candy store and enjoyed very much being able to talk to someone who had a passion for stones. He had mentioned then that he was looking for an assistant but I didn't think much about it other than to think how neat it would be to work for him.

It was shortly after this meeting that I seriously started thinking about going back to school through GIA. I was enrolled just over a month after our first meeting , and within a few weeks, I was already starting to think that working on the gem side of the industry might be very fascinating for me. All I had to do was finish my classes and I'd be able to seek out a position.

I had been keeping in contact with my new industry friend sporadically just because of Ronnie's ring. Through the summer he had told me to let him know when I would be in Helena so that we might get lunch. It just happened that I was in town for Justin's send off to India a week and a half ago and it worked out to meet. As it turns out, it was really an interview of sorts. What he was looking for was someone to help him get organized and keep track of his inventory. I would also be filling orders and typing up invoices, among other things; that is, if I was interested. Was I? YES! We parted ways with the idea that we would both think about it, and he would be back to me in a week.

That week was up more quickly than I realized and he was calling. I knew what it would take me to leave my current position but really didn't think he would offer enough. To my delight he did, and I am very excited to be moving on to a new opportunity where I will learn a lot and broaden my knowledge of the jewelry industry.

1 comment:

GoJenGo said...

Congratulations!!!!! Awesome.