Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Iowa Revisited

Reflecting back on this past weekend's events, I don't think that I would change a thing. I've never been one to keep a lid on something this big but I managed, and it was well worth it. I will remember my parent's reactions for quite a while, and I'm pretty sure they will always be wondering when I might surprise them again.

In just three days, I was able to see all of my friends and family that I'd hoped to, met a few new people (Cody, Lisa's seven week old baby) and tried to relax a bit. I have never been so tired as I was this weekend. Chalk it up to not sleeping well Friday night, or perhaps just the anticipation of it all wore me out.

On my way to the airport with my mom, she asked me if I had had enough time for everything. I said that I did, and that I'd enjoyed my time in Iowa, but that it was not home anymore. Things are different. I felt a bit like an outsider with my old group of friends, however I did feel very welcome, and missed. Someone (I'm not sure who at the moment) told me that I probably wouldn't miss home until I had gone back and seen first hand all that I had missed out on since I'd left. I think in my situation, that is not the case. I do admit, I have missed out on things that I would have been very much involved in, but I can't, nor would I ever choose to have not embarked on this new and exciting journey that I am living everyday.

I'm not sure when my next trip to Iowa will be. My family is coming out to Montana in August so I will see them then. Hopefully more people will be able to make the journey as well, so that I may show them what I love so much about my new home state.

1 comment:

Buddhist_philosopher said...

Glad you had a great trip back to Iowa and very happy to have you back *home*.