Monday, January 19, 2009

Sleep

Sleeping seems to be on my mind a lot lately...I'm starting to think that I don't get enough sleep. Which is all my fault because for some reason I find it necessary to stay up until midnight or later. And when I finally do go to bed, most of the time I just lay there, wishing that my brain would shut off and that sleep would finally come over me. Then I'm suddenly woken up by my alarm when I feel that I've only been asleep a few moments. I've come to need coffee more than not, just to get started in the morning. Good thing that I like coffee...

The only reason I bring this up is that it was the topic of a reading at a meditation group I went to tonight. A bit of what was said was that some people have anxiety about going to sleep, because they know that they will have trouble letting their minds settle down enough for sleep. My mind is always going a million directions at once, but when asked what I am thinking about, I can't narrow it down. Even when I'm exhausted, I can't seem to slow my thoughts down.

That's where meditation has helped out a bit. Before meditation tonight, I felt overwhelmed with everything that I need to get done this week. Why do I bother myself with things that don't need to be done now? It seems to me that I am trying to make myself busy. I will admit that I don't like to just sit still. Now, post meditation, I feel calm, and ready for bed.

Hopefully sleep will find me quickly.

No comments: