Wednesday, June 30, 2010

30 day challenge...

Well, perhaps it will be a 31 day challenge, as that is how many days are in July. My intention is to meditate every.single.day. I'm pretty sure that I will be able to accomplish this, even if I have to meditate by a lake late in the month (which I am actually looking forward to) while camping with friends, or on my lunch break at work (which I'm not looking forward to), or after a run in the morning, or before bed at night. Ideally though, I will meditate every morning, before my day really gets going and my mind is overloaded with the mundane concerns of everyday life.

And after the 31 days? I hope that it turns into 60 days, 90 days, and beyond. I am a creature of habit, and of all habits that I have, shouldn't this be one of them? And shouldn't others fall away as I become more aware of them?

It will go something like this: for the first seven days, I will meditate for 10 minutes, adding five minutes every week thereafter until I am meditating for 30 minutes every day. In the past I have really enjoyed the Metta Bhavana meditation, but I think mixing it up will be helpful, so I will also be doing Mindfulness of Breathing, Vipassana, and any others that research will lead me to.

I'm not really sure what to expect. I just hope to learn a bit more about who I am, and what I need. And what I need now is to get to bed so I can get up and run...oh yeah, and meditate.

No comments: