Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Just sit

Actually getting into a daily meditation routine has been harder, much harder, than I thought it would be. After my retreat in April I really wanted to sit everyday, or at least every other day. That desire resurfaced recently while I was reading "Eat, Pray, Love". The author's stories from her time in India made me realize that the feelings I have during meditation are okay, and most likely are having a positive affect on my everyday life.

So why haven't I been sitting? I know that it is great for me; I'm calmer, more at peace, less likely to over-react, I sleep better...I'm happier. What it really boils down to is that I'm also lazy. Other things seem more worthwhile, like hanging out with friends, playing tennis, eating, drinking, watching a movie, reading a book...anything but sitting.

Last night, I made it back to Miriam's house for a sit. I went alone. I could very easily have just not gone, as I did have other things that needed to get done. But I went, and I am very glad that I did. It was not a calm experience. My mind was everywhere but there, from one story to the next, and although my mind was in overdrive, after it was all done and I was home again, I felt a calmness that I hadn't felt in weeks.

Hopefully this will inspire me to meditate on a more regular basis.

No comments: