Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Luck

When I first decided to quit my job as a bench jeweler last September, I was excited about entering a different part of the industry. It might even have been great; to work in the gem sector would go right in line with my studies, and I would have someone to learn from. Well, that didn't quite work out as well as I had hoped. However, whenever a door closes, a window opens, right?

Many of my friends told me I was doing the right thing to change sectors. But some of them thought I was doing the wrong thing. Why give up on a talent and an eye for design that many people just don't have? For many reasons I agreed with both sides. I was bored with my job, sick of the drama, and sick of bad things happening to good people that I worked with. I was no longer inspired to design unless someone needed something specific. I needed to get back to that place where I could just sit and design because I wanted to.

After being a goldsmith for 8 1/2 years, I realized that doing something different was difficult. I had no idea what I was doing anymore; a far cry from what I was used to. I had known that I would miss being a goldsmith eventually. It just didn't take as long as I'd thought it would.

In December I decided that I would start designing on my own. I even came up with a name for my little company: Dilettanti Designs. The problem with making my own designs was not the lack of the ideas, rather the lack of money, equipment, etc. I had no way to move forward, something that I hated. I had decided that maybe it was time to go back to work, doing what I am naturally good at, and to be honest, what I love to do. But where? I didn't really want to move again but maybe I wouldn't have a choice.

This is where luck or perhaps fate intervened. I decided to do a search for a job in my town, and low and behold there just happened to be one. And the manager is best friends with someone that used to work for the same company I had, and he advised him to hire me, all before my first interview, which I had yesterday.

Now I just have to take a few tests and see what their offer is. I'm not one to hide my emotions very well, and this is no exception. I'm actually excited!

No comments: